Friday, September 17, 2010

Another Water Tank

WOW, what a rush, not even 9am and I have just spent $2,500. Had to do it early before I got cold feet and thought about it too much. Had to be done though. I have ordered another water tank, have to get it in before the wet season hits and then we can have lots of water next dry, well, maybe not lots but sufficient that I should no longer have to bucket bore water into the washing machine so we can still shower every day with the rain water. YAY :D


So the tank will take 2-3 weeks to get here, then we just have move it into place, have it hooked up and wait for it to rain (lots). We are going to put it where this old trailer is (not sure where we will put the trailer, it was left by the previous owner and we are not sure what to do with it) and then maybe we will move the rock pile to around the tanks. I was just waiting for that third tank to be put in before I did anything with all those rocks, reeeally :)


The garden is zooming along and hopefully it won't be long before actual pumpkins start to grow on the vine. The plant is starting to creep across the paddock and at least my partner in crime and life won't be able to complain that there is pumpkin everywhere and that he can't mow (pumpkins and suburban backyards don't go well together if you want manicured lawns, so now we have loads of space).


We will also soon have quite a few zucchinis, which is good as we put them in lots of meals. We are actually eating quite well out of the garden at the moment, however I am sure it won't be long where we won't be, as I haven't planted anything new for a while. Admittedly, some things take longer than others to grow, and also we are starting to get into the part of the year where some things won't grow as it is too hot, but we will see how we go.


The potatoes are going well, and seeing I have never grown them before it is an experiment. If things go OK with this little patch, I will have a big patch next year, or maybe lots of patches, as long as I get a couple of potatoes from this one I will consider it successful, seeing I have no idea what I am doing.

We have finally decided where the chook pen will go. We couldn't get any chooks until I could see it in my head (the pen and the chooks), so we even have a rough design and plan of how to keep the snakes and bush pythons out. We are going to have the pen on the other side of our table and chairs over near the creek (but not too close or they might fall off) and they will be partially shaded by the trees. We know people who have lots of chooks with lots of babies, they are Jungle Fowl, they are a bit wild, beautiful to look at and they are tough, so we may get some of those if we build the pen soon. I would like it done in the next couple of months.

Well, better go ring and see if I can get some besser blocks for my last garden row, haven't been able to get any recently, so maybe today is the day :P

No comments:

Post a Comment